El Escorial is an impressive monastery and palace that is located about an hour’s drive northwest of Madrid. The UNESCO World Heritage Site was commissioned by King Felipe II to showcase the power of the Spanish monarchy. The massive complex has nearly 15 miles of corridors, and was the largest building in the world building for many years after it was completed. El Escorial is also the burial site for most of the Spanish kings of the last five centuries.
Located about 15 km. from El Escorial is the Valley of the Fallen (Valle de los Caidos), which is a basilica, Benedictine Abbey and monument that was commissioned by Spanish dictator Francisco Franco. The monument was intended to honor those who died on both sides during the Spanish Civil War, and Franco is buried behind the altar in the basilica. The site is easily identified by the 150 meter high granite cross that can be seen from 30 kms. away.
On this 8 hour private tour you will be met by your guide at your hotel in Madrid to begin your trip with private transportation to El Escorial and the Valley of the Fallen. Your visit to El Escorial will include the Monastery, Pantheon of Kings, and the Royal Library. The tour will then continue to the Valley of the Fallen to visit the monument and the basilica. Your guide will customize the tour to include the sites that are of most interest to you. There will be time during the day to have lunch.
Please note that El Escorial is closed on Mondays.
2018 Prices and other info:
Tour price for 1-2 People in a Sedan
- US $1,235 – Tuesday through Friday (start time from 9:00-10:00am)
- US $1,350 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 9:00-10:00am)
Tour price for 3-6 People in a Minivan
- US $1,310 –Tuesday through Friday (start time from 9:00-10:00am)
- US $1,425 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 9:00-10:00am)
- Price includes a tour with a licensed guide for 8 hours
- Price includes a private vehicle with driver for 8 hours in a Mercedes E Class Sedan or Mercedes Minivan. Driver’s meal is included in the price.
- Price does not include meals or entrance fees (if any), which are extra
- There is a supplement required for the guide’s meal. Client can either invite the guide to lunch, or pay them 25 Euros during the tour.
- Vehicles are insured, as required by Spanish law
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and German
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Hans Peter Schaefer
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.