Located just an hour north of Madrid, the enchanting city of Segovia is a perfect day trip from Madrid. This UNESCO World Heritage Site provides visitors with a wide array of historic sites to see, including a Roman aqueduct built in the 1st C. that is considered one of the Roman Empire’s most impressive works of engineering, a 16th C. Gothic cathedral that was the last one built in Spain, and a 12th C. castle that looks like it came straight out of a fairy tale.
Segovia is easily reached in just 27 minutes from Madrid’s Chamartín train station via the high-speed AVE train. Your guide will meet you at the train station in Segovia to begin your tour. The historic city center is a short 10 minute taxi ride from the train station.
On this 4 hour private tour you will have a chance to explore the main sites in this historic city, including the iconic Aqueduct and Alcázar Castle. Your guide will customize the tour to include the sites that are of most interest to you. A suggested itinerary could include visits to the following sites:
- Roman Aqueduct
- Alcázar Castle
- Gothic Cathedral
- La Muralla (ramparts)
- Iglesia de Vera Cruz
- Iglesia San Esteban
- Iglesia de San Martín
- Judería (Jewish Quarter) and the old Main Synagogue
- Plaza Mayor
- Casa de los Picos
2018 Prices (for up to 8 participants) and other info:
- US $370 – Monday through Friday (start time from 9:00-10:00am or 2:00-3:00pm)
- US $430 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 9:00-10:00am or 2:00-3:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 4 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees and transportation costs (if any), which are extra
- Tours with more than 2 participants: Multiple taxis will be needed to get to the city center
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and German
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Since Segovia is well known for its cuisine and signature dishes such as Cochinillo Asado (roast suckling pig), giant broad beans from La Granja, and Sopa Castellana (garlic soup), you may want to build in some time to your day trip to enjoy a meal in Segovia before taking the train back to Madrid.
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Bernard Gagnon
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.