Perched on a hilltop surrounded on three sides by the Rio Tajo (Tagus River), Toledo is a magnificent city that is a “must see” for visitors to Spain. It is easily reached from Madrid, either by car or by train, so it makes a perfect day trip to include in your itinerary.
Toledo is the capital of the province of Castilla-La Mancha, and once served as the capital of Spain, until the capital was moved to Madrid in the 16th C. With a long heritage dating back to Roman times, Toledo has been influenced by the Christians, Muslims and Jews, and is known as the “city of the three cultures.” Toledo is perhaps best known for inspiring some of the famous works of El Greco, and for its magnificent 15th C. Cathedral, which is considered one of the greatest Gothic structures in the world.
On this 5 hour private tour you will be met by your guide at your hotel in Madrid to begin your day trip to Toledo. You will travel by taxi to Atocha train station, where you will board the high-speed AVE train that makes the journey to Toledo in just 33 minutes.
The following is a suggested itinerary that can be customized to meet your specific interests:
- Begin your tour with a panoramic view of Toledo from outside of its ancient city walls. You and your guide will take a taxi to a hilltop location that provides some of the best views of the city, and a great place to take pictures.
- Return to the city center to explore the historic Muslim, Jewish and Christian quarters on foot. Sites that can be visited include the Cathedral, Santa Maria la Blanca (the oldest synagogue building in Europe still standing), and the Iglesia de Santo Tomé, a small chapel in the Jewish Quarter that houses El Greco’s masterpiece, The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.
Since all of the historic sites in Toledo cannot be seen in a half day tour, your guide will customize the tour to include the sites that are of most interest to you.
Please note that tour prices do not include the cost of your train tickets, so you can either purchase them in advance online from Renfe or purchase them on the day of travel at the Atocha train station (the guide will assist you). We recommend that you purchase the tickets in advance during high season. For train information and to purchase tickets, click here. The tour start time will be aligned with the train schedule for departures to Toledo.
2017 Prices (for up to eight participants) and other info:
- US $405 – Monday through Friday (start time from 9:00-10:00am or 2:00-3:00pm)
- US $455 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 9:00-10:00am or 2:00-3:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 5 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees or transportation costs (train tickets/taxi), which are extra
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and German
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Chensiyuan. Photo of Bisagra Gate.
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.