Visitors to Porto looking to venture outside of the city to explore some historic towns need to look no further than the neighboring Centro Region of Portugal. The region is steeped in history and within just a little over an hour’s drive from Porto you can visit the country’s first capital and a charming coastal town, known as the Venice of Portugal, that is a true hidden gem.
On this 9 hour private tour you will visit the towns of Coimbra and Aveiro. Coimbra’s historical roots date back to Roman times. It has played an important part in Portugal’s history over the centuries, and even served at the country’s first capital from 1131-1255. It is perhaps best known for its university, which is the oldest in the country and one of the oldest universities in the world.
Aveiro was also established in Roman times, and it served as an important seaport until the end of the 16th C. when a storm closed off the port. The old town center is crossed by a network of canals that is reminiscent of Venice, down to the gondola-like boats. There are also picturesque wooden houses, once used by fisherman, that have been painted in bright colors and candy striped, so be sure to have your phone or camera fully charged for the photo ops.
Your guide/driver will pick you up at your hotel to begin your full day private tour. A suggested itinerary for the tour includes the following stops/visits:
- Panoramic tour of Coimbra’s historic city center
- University Library
- Monastery of Santa Cruz – houses the tombs of Portugal’s first two kings
- Panoramic tour of Aveiro’s historic city center
- Train station – historic building with beautiful blue azulejo (tile) exterior
- River canals
- Salt springs
- Costa Nova – neighborhood with colorful striped houses
The tour can be customized to meet your specific interests. You will have time during the day to stop for lunch. If you have a sweet tooth be sure to ask your guide about Ovos Moles in Aveiro, a traditional confection that originated in a convent in Aveiro. Locals would say that to visit Aveiro and not try this unique treat is a sin.
2018 Prices and other info:
Tour price for 1-3 People in a Sedan
- US $385 – Daily (start time at 9:00am / return at 6:00pm)
Tour price for 4-7 People in a Minivan
- US $520 – Daily (start time at 9:00am / return at 6:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with a licensed guide/driver with transportation for 9 hours
- Price does not include meals or entrance fees (if any), which are extra
- There is a supplement required for the guide’s meal. Client can either invite the guide to lunch, or pay them 19 Euros during the tour.
- Vehicles are insured, as required by Portuguese law
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French and Italian
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Note: Guide/driver is not authorized to conduct tours inside of monuments or museums.
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Kondephy
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.