Visitors to Porto looking to venture outside of the city to explore some historic towns need to look no further than the neighboring Centro Region of Portugal. The region is steeped in history and within a 2 hour drive from Porto you can visit one of the most popular pilgrimage sites in the world, and the city that was Portugal’s first capital.
On this 9 hour private tour you will visit the towns of Fátima and Coimbra. Over 4 million people visit Fátima each year. It is believed that the Virgin Mary appeared to 3 shepherd children near the town on the 13th of every month from May through October 1917. The Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima was built at the site of the apparitions of the Virgin to the children, and their tombs are located in the basilica.
Coimbra’s historical roots date back to Roman times. It has played an important part in Portugal’s history over the centuries, and even served at the country’s first capital from 1131-1255. It is perhaps best known for its university, which is the oldest in the country and one of the oldest universities in the world.
Your guide/driver will pick you up at your hotel to begin your private tour. A suggested itinerary for the tour includes the following stops/visits:
- Sanctuary of Our Lady of Fátima
- Basilica of Our Lady of the Rosary
- House of the Little Shepherds
- Panoramic tour of Coimbra’s historic city center
- University Library
- Monastery of Santa Cruz – houses the tombs of Portugal’s first two kings
The tour can be customized to meet your specific interests. You will have time during the day to stop for lunch.
2018 Prices and other info:
Tour price for 1-3 People in a Sedan
- US $485 – Daily (start time at 9:00am / return at 6:00pm)
Tour price for 4-7 People in a Minivan
- US $665 – Daily (start time at 9:00am / return at 6:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with a licensed guide/driver with transportation for 9 hours
- Price does not include meals or entrance fees (if any), which are extra
- There is a supplement required for the guide’s meal. Client can either invite the guide to lunch, or pay them 19 Euros during the tour.
- Vehicles are insured, as required by Portuguese law
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French and Italian
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Note: Guide/driver is not authorized to conduct tours inside of monuments or museums.
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: © Santuário de Fátima · All rights reserved.
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.