The history of the Gothic Quarter dates all the way back to Barcelona’s founding as the Roman settlement of Barcino. Stretching down to the seafront, and bordered by La Rambla and the Via Laietana, it is a wonderful area of narrow, winding streets that is filled with an amazing array of historical landmarks, including cathedrals, palaces and plazas (squares) that date back to medieval times.
During this private walking tour you will learn about the origins of the city, the respectful coexistence of different religions, their social life and what their lives were like in this quarter. Its richly textured streets, quiet squares, attractive corners, gurgling fountains, vintage stores and ancient fortifications inspired such artists as Pablo Picasso and Joan Miró (who was born in this neighborhood).
The 4 hour private walking tour can include a guided tour of the Cathedral, and will be customized to meet your specific interests. Some suggested sites to see include:
- Plaça Nova – where the city was born
- Jewish Quarter (the Call) and the historic Major Synagogue dating back to 1391
- Plaça Sant Jaume – site of the current City Hall
- Plaça del Rei, Plaça Reial, Plaça de l’Angel
- Temple d’August
- Palau Reial, the Plaza and the Palau del Lloctinent
- Basílica de la Mercé
- Basílica de Santa María del Pi
2018 Prices (for up to 8 participants) and other info:
- US $375 – Monday through Friday – Daytime (start time from 8:00am to 5:45pm)
- US $445 – Monday through Friday – Evening (start time from 6:00pm to 8:00pm)
- US $445 – Saturday, Sunday & Holidays (start time from 8:00am to 8:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 4 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees and transportation costs (if any), which are extra
- Tours with more than 2 participants: If transportation is taken, multiple taxis will be needed
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, Catalán, French, Italian and Portuguese
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
For more information and reservations, contact us.
For more information on all of our private tour offerings in Barcelona, click here.
Photo credit: © Christopher Pappas · All rights reserved. Photo of Antigua Casa Figueras on La Rambla.
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.