The Palacio Real (Royal Palace) is a “must see” site for any visitor to Madrid. It is the largest royal palace in Western Europe and one of the most impressive. Completed in 1751, Charles III was the first king to live in the palace. Today it is the official residence of the Spanish Royal Family, but is only used for state ceremonies, as the Royal Family chooses to live in the Palacio de la Zarzuela located on the outskirts of the city.
On this 3 hour private tour will be met at your hotel by your guide, and together you will travel to the Royal Palace. Along the way your guide will begin to tell you about the history of Madrid and the royal dynasties that were responsible for commissioning Madrid’s most emblematic buildings. When you arrive at the palace you will bypass the general entry line and enter through the special access entrance that is reserved for licensed guides.
There are over 50 rooms that are open to the public for viewing. Visitors can see an impressive collection of paintings by artists, including Goya, Velázquez, El Greco, Rubens and Caravaggio, 5 Stradivarius violins that are still used for concerts and balls, and a collection of 215 ornate clocks. Some of the most notable rooms in the palace are the Columns Room, Hall of Mirrors, Royal Guards’ Room, and King Charles III’s room. Just outside of the main building you can also visit the Royal Pharmacy and the Royal Armory.
The tour of the Royal Palace takes about 60-90 minutes to complete. With the remainder of the time you can explore the nearby Almudena Cathedral, the Plaza del Oriente and Royal Theater, and stroll through the Madrid of los Austrias and the Plaza Mayor. The tour will be completely customized to meet your specific interests.
Please note that the Royal Palace is used for state business and may be closed to the public when used for official ceremonies and functions.
2017 Prices (for up to eight participants) and other info:
- US $299 – Monday through Friday (start time from 10:00am – 5:00pm)
- US $345 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 10:00am – 5:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 3 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees and transportation costs (if any), which are extra
- Tours with more than 2 participants: If transportation is taken, multiple taxis will be needed
- For groups of 7 or more people the Royal Palace requires that an advance reservation be made, along with pre-payment of entrance tickets
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and German
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: © Christopher Pappas · All rights reserved.
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.