The history of the Gothic Quarter dates all the way back to Barcelona’s founding as the Roman settlement of Barcino. Stretching down to the seafront, and bordered by La Rambla and the Via Laietana, it is a wonderful area of narrow, winding streets that is filled with an amazing array of historical landmarks, including cathedrals, palaces and plazas (squares) that date back to medieval times.
One of the places that should not be missed in the Gothic Quarter is the Picasso Museum, which is housed in five palaces that date from the 13th-15th centuries. The museum showcases one of the most extensive collections of the artist’s works and provides visitors with an overview of the formative years of this celebrated artist. The permanent collection includes over 3,800 of his works, with a concentration on his early production. Half of the collection was donated by Picasso’s personal secretary, Jaume Sabartés, with the other half coming from the artist’s own collection.
During this 4 hour private walking tour you will visit the Picasso Museum and learn more about the artist and his works. You will also have time to explore the Gothic Quarter, where you can learn about the origins of the city, the respectful coexistence of different religions, their social life and what their lives were like in this quarter. The tour will be customized to meet your specific interests.
The tours do not include entrance tickets, so we highly recommend that you let us know if you would like to include the cost of the Picasso Museum tickets in the tour so the tickets can be purchased in advance and you will skip the line when you arrive.
Please note that the Picasso Museum is closed on Mondays.
2018 Prices (for up to 8 participants) and other info:
- US $375 – Tuesday through Friday – Daytime (start time from 8:00am to 5:00pm)
- US $445 – Saturday, Sunday & Holidays (start time from 8:00am to 5:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 4 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees and transportation costs (if any), which are extra
- Museum entrance tickets are $21 per person
- Tours with more than 2 participants: If transportation is taken, multiple taxis will be needed
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, Catalán, French, Italian and Portuguese
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
For more information and reservations, contact us.
For more information on all of our private tour offerings in Barcelona, click here.
Photo credit: Museu Picasso, Barcelona © MPB document collection / Photo: Ronald Stallard
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.