The Minho region in the northwest corner of Portugal is one of the country’s best kept secrets. It is the most traditional part of Portugal, and with its rolling hills and lush river valleys, it is also the greenest part of the country. Located within an hour’s drive from Porto, visitors can explore the historic town of Guimarães, the country’s first capital, and Braga, the country’s oldest city.
Your guide/driver will pick you up at your hotel to begin your 9 hour private tour. The first stop will be the town of Guimarães. The picturesque medieval city is considered the birthplace of the nation, as it was the country’s first capital and the birthplace of Afonso Henriques, Portugal’s first king. You will take a panoramic tour of the well preserved town center, including the 10th C. Castle of Guimarães, and the 15th C. Palace of the Dukes of Bragança.
The next stop on the tour is a visit to the Santuário Bom Jesús do Monte, located about 5 km. east of Braga. This important pilgrimage site was begun in 1722 and is considered one of the masterpieces of European Baroque style. Its centerpiece is the hilltop granite double staircase lined with chapels representing the Stations of the Cross, the Stairway of the Five Senses, and the Stairway of the Three Virtues (Faith, Hope and Charity).
You will then continue on to Braga, the capital of the Minho region and the oldest city in the country. It has also been the religious capital of the country since Roman times. You will take a panoramic tour of the historic city center, including the Cathedral of Braga, which is the Portugal’s oldest church.
You will arrive back at your hotel around 6:00pm. The private tour can be customized to meet your specific interests. Monument visits are optional and can be decided upon with your guide. There will be time during the day to have lunch.
2017 Prices and other info:
Tour price for 1-3 People in a Sedan
- US $265 – Daily (start time at 9:00am / return at 6:00pm)
Tour price for 4-7 People in a Minivan
- US $360 – Daily (start time at 9:00am / return at 6:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with a licensed guide/driver with transportation for 9 hours
- Price does not include meals or entrance fees (if any), which are extra
- There is a supplement required for the guide’s meal. Client can either invite the guide to lunch, or pay them 18 Euros during the tour.
- Vehicles are insured, as required by Portuguese law
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French and Italian
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Note: Guide/driver is not authorized to conduct tours inside of monuments or museums.
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Filipe Fortes
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.