No visit to Granada would be complete without touring the Alhambra that sits atop a hillside overlooking the city. Built in the 14th C. as the primary residence of the Nasrid Sultans, it is one of the most famous examples of Moorish architecture, and the most popular tourist attraction in all of Spain.
In addition to the Alhambra, there are also a number of important sites to see in the city center that should be included in your itinerary. Choose from either a 2.5 hour tour of the Alhambra and Generalife Gardens, or a 4 hour tour that includes the Alhambra, Generalife Gardens, and a walking tour of the city center. All tours can be customized to meet a client’s specific interests.
The 2.5 hour private tour will take you through the Alhambra complex, including the Alcazaba (military fortress), the Palacios Nazaríes (Nasrid Palaces), and the Generalife Palace and Gardens. Your guide will tell you about the history of this magnificent structure, and share with you stories about what life was like for the Moorish kings and family members who lived within the walls of the palace.
The 4 hour private tour will also include a visit to the Alhambra and Generalife, as described above. After completing the Alhambra tour (approximately 2.5 hours), your guide will take you on a walking tour down the Alhambra hill to the historic city center, where you can visit the Renaissance cathedral begun in 1521 and the Royal Chapel, which is the mausoleum commissioned by the Catholic Monarchs, King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella, to house their remains.
Please note that the tours do not include entrance tickets to the Alhambra. Ticket sales are limited to a certain number of visitors per day, and we highly recommend that you purchase your tickets in advance to ensure that you will be able to visit the Alhambra on the date/time you want. Be sure to purchase tickets for an entry time that will allow you to spend at least 2.5 hours at the Alhambra, which is the time allotted with the guide for this portion of the private tour.
For more information on the types of tickets available and to purchase tickets online, visit La Alhambra y el Generalife (click on “Visitar la Alhambra” on the top navigation menu). The ticket required for the tour is the “Alhambra General” ticket that allows access to all the visitable spaces of the monument. Please note that the discounted tickets for visitors 65 and older (called “Mayores 65 A.UE” on the ticket website) are only available for European Union nationals (proof is required at entry); it is recommended that full price tickets be purchased to avoid any potential issues at the entrance gate. Tickets for children up to the age of 11 are free (passport/proof of age is required at entry), but you must include them in your ticket purchase, as every visitor must have a ticket to enter the Alhambra.
2017 Prices (for up to eight participants) and other info*:
2.5 hour tour (Alhambra and Generalife):
- US $350 – Monday through Friday (start time from 8:30am to 4:30pm)
- US $425 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 8:30am to 4:30pm)
- US $5 per person supplement will be added to tours of 6 or more participants to cover headphone cost, which is mandatory
4 hour tour (Alhambra, Generalife and city center):
- US $460 – Monday through Friday (start time from 8:30am to 3:00pm)
- US $535 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 8:30am to 3:00pm)
* Prices are based upon Day Visits to the Alhambra; prices on request for Night Visits
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for the number of hours specified
- Clients will be met by guide at the ticket office of the Alhambra (see above for directions and map)
- Price does not include entrance tickets to the Alhambra and Generalife (see link provided above)
- Price does not include entrance fees to other sites and transportation costs (if any), which are extra
- Tours with more than 2 participants: If transportation is taken, multiple taxis will be needed
- Tours with 6 or more participants are required to use headphones; supplemental cost will apply
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, German, French, and Italian
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Turismo Ciudad de Granada
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.