Wine lovers will enjoy this next itinerary, as it lets you explore Spain’s best known wine region – La Rioja. The province of La Rioja is located about 350 km northeast of Madrid. The city of Logroño is the capital of La Rioja and can be reached via the A1 motorway in about 4 hours from Madrid.
The itinerary includes visits to the town of Haro, which is the home to many of the region’s finest wineries, as well as day trips to Pamplona (immortalized by Hemingway for the famous running of the bulls festival each July), and Bilbao (home to Frank Gehry’s stunning Guggenheim Museum). Food lovers will also delight in the amazing selection of Basque food you will come across throughout your trip.
Great wine, great food, and places to visit that will satisfy your interest in history, culture and art – what more could you ask for in a vacation!
- Day 1: Drive from Madrid to Logroño; sightseeing in the afternoon
- Day 2: Sightseeing in Logroño. For more information, click here
- Day 3: Day trip to Rioja Alta (Upper Rioja) – visit Nájera (15 km), Santo Domingo de la Calzada (20 km)
- Day 4: Day trip to Rioja Alta – visit Haro (49 km) and its bodegas (wineries). For more information on wine, click here
- Day 5: Day trip to Pamplona (90 km). For more information, click here
- Day 6: Day trip to Bilbao (152 km) – visit the Guggenheim and Fine Arts Museums. For more information, click here
- Day 7: Day trip to Rioja Baja (Lower Rioja) – visit bodegas
- Day 8: Depart Logroño to return home
Information on what to see and do, and where to eat can be found on our website or on our blog. Simply search by city.
Photo credit: Consejo Regulador D.O.Ca Rioja
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.