Toledo is a majestic city that is perched on a hilltop and surrounded on three sides by the Rio Tajo (Tagus River). It is perhaps best known for inspiring some of the famous works of El Greco and for its magnificent 15th C. Cathedral, which is considered one of the greatest Gothic structures in the world. With a long heritage dating back to Roman times, Toledo has been influenced by the Christians, Muslims and Jews, and is known as the “city of the three cultures” since these cultures lived together for centuries inside the city walls.
The best way to explore this UNESCO World Heritage site is to take a walking tour with a local guide who will tell you about Toledo’s history, showcase its most prominent monuments and take you through its historic quarters.
On this 4 hour private walking tour you will be met by your guide in Toledo, either at your hotel or at the train station if visiting Toledo as a day trip from Madrid. The following is a suggested itinerary that can be customized to meet your specific interests:
- Begin your tour with a panoramic view of Toledo from outside of its ancient city walls. You and your guide will take a taxi to a hilltop location that provides some of the best views of the city, and a great place to take pictures.
- Return to the city center to explore the historic Muslim, Jewish and Christian quarters on foot. Sites that can be visited include the Cathedral, Santa Maria la Blanca (the oldest synagogue building in Europe still standing), and the Iglesia de Santo Tomé, a small chapel in the Jewish Quarter that houses El Greco’s masterpiece, The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.
Since all of the historic sites in Toledo cannot be seen in 4 hours, your guide will customize the tour to include the sites that are of most interest to you.
2017 Prices (for up to eight participants) and other info:
- US $325 – Monday through Friday (start time from 9:00-10:00am or 2:00-3:00pm)
- US $375 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 9:00-10:00am or 2:00-3:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 4 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees and transportation costs, which are extra
- Tours with more than 2 participants: If transportation is taken, multiple taxis will be needed
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and German
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Chensiyuan
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.