Take a break from sightseeing in the city to take a day trip to Montserrat. Located 35 miles northwest of Barcelona, the Benedictine monastery of Montserrat sits atop a 4,000 foot high mountain and is famous for the statue of the Virgin of Montserrat (the Black Virgin), the patron saint of Cataluña.
Montserrat has been home to the Benedictine Community, now numbering some eighty monks, since 1025, and to the Patron of Catalonia, St. Mary of Montserrat, who is worshiped by hundreds of visitors daily. The monastery contains one of the most important libraries in the world, a fine collection of art, and the Escolania, one of the oldest boys’ choir in Europe that attracts visitors from all over the world to listen to their famous Virolai hymn. The boys’ choir performs at 1 p.m. from Monday through Friday (consult the monastery’s website to confirm any changes in schedule).
On this full day private tour you will travel to Montserrat via public transportation, which takes about 1.5 hours each way. Your guide will meet you at your hotel, and together you will travel to the Plaza de España train station to board a train to Montserrat. After arriving in Montserrat you will take either the rack train or cable car to ascend the 600 meters up the mountain.
At the monastery you will visit the Royal Basilica, the statue of the Black Virgin, the museum, and enjoy a performance of the Escolania (if they are performing during your visit). There will be time during the day to have lunch.
Please note that tour prices do not include the cost of your train tickets, which can be purchased at the train station on the day of the tour (your guide will assist you).
2017 Prices (for up to 8 participants) and other info:
- US $580 – Monday through Friday – Daytime (start time from 8:00am to 9:30am)
- US $725 – Saturday, Sunday & Holidays (start time from 8:00am to 9:30am)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 10 hours
- Price does not include meals, entrance fees or transportation costs, which are extra
- There is a supplement required for the guide’s meal. Client can either invite the guide to lunch, or pay them 29 Euros (weekdays)/31 Euros (weekends/holidays) during the tour.
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, Catalán, French, Italian and Portuguese
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Note: A 5 hour tour with private guide and transportation is also available. For more information, click here.
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Richard Schneider
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.