Toledo is the capital of the province of Castilla-La Mancha, and once served as the capital of Spain, until the capital was moved to Madrid in the 16th C. With a long heritage dating back to Roman times, Toledo has been influenced by the Christians, Muslims and Jews, and is known as the “city of the three cultures.” Toledo is perhaps best known for inspiring some of the famous works of El Greco, and for its magnificent 15th C. Cathedral, which is considered one of the greatest Gothic structures in the world.
On this 8 hour private tour you will be met by your guide at your hotel in Madrid to begin your day trip to Toledo. You will travel by taxi to Atocha train station, where you will board the high-speed AVE train that makes the journey to Toledo in just 33 minutes.
The following is a suggested itinerary that can be customized to meet your specific interests:
- Begin your tour with a panoramic view of Toledo from outside of its ancient city walls. You and your guide will take a taxi to a hilltop location that provides some of the best views of the city, and a great place to take pictures.
- Return to the city center to explore the historic Muslim, Jewish and Christian quarters on foot. Sites that can be visited include the Cathedral, Alcázar, Museo del Greco, Santa Maria la Blanca (the oldest synagogue building in Europe still standing), El Tránsito Synagogue, and the Iglesia de Santo Tomé, a small chapel in the Jewish Quarter that houses El Greco’s masterpiece, The Burial of the Count of Orgaz.
- Go beyond the areas normally visited to explore the Barrio de los Conventos (convent neighborhood) near the Jewish Quarter, and Toledo’s hidden subterranean caverns that can only be visited with an official guide.
Your guide will customize the tour to include the sites that are of most interest to you. There will be time during the day to have lunch.
Please note that tour prices do not include the cost of your train tickets, so you can either purchase them on the day of travel at the Atocha train station (the guide will assist you), or purchase them in advance online from Renfe. We recommend that you purchase the tickets in advance during high season, particularly around Holy Week. For train information and to purchase tickets, click here. The tour start time will be aligned with the train schedule for departures to Toledo, and the guide must be back in Madrid within 8 hours of the tour start time.
2018 Prices (for up to 8 participants) and other info:
- US $625 – Monday through Friday (start time from 9:00-10:00am)
- US $740 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 9:00-10:00am)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 8 hours
- Price does not include meals, entrance fees or transportation costs (train tickets/taxi), which are extra
- There is a supplement required for the guide’s meal. Client can either invite the guide to lunch, or pay them 25 Euros during the tour.
- Tours with more than 2 participants: If transportation is taken, multiple taxis will be needed
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and German
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: Turismo de Castilla-La Mancha. Photo of Primada Cathedral.
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.