The Portugal Tourism Board (Turismo de Portugal) has created the Clean & Safe program to assure visitors that businesses in the tourism sector are taking appropriate measures to prevent and control the spread of the coronavirus. Hotels and service providers certified under the program must demonstrate that they can implement and adhere to the hygiene and cleaning measures outlined by the Directorate General of Health to earn the Clean & Safe stamp of approval.
Tourism is a key sector for the Portuguese economy, as it represents 16.5% of the country’s Gross Domestic Product (GDP). With all of the concerns that travelers will face as they begin to travel once again, the Tourism Board launched the Clean & Safe program to provide some comfort and assurance to visitors that Portugal is a safe destination to visit.
The Clean & Safe certification outlines the protocols that must be followed by companies that provide Accommodations, Tour Operators and Travel Agencies. The protocols include requirements for:
- Training of employees on procedures including hand disinfection, breath etiquette, social behavior and daily self-checks for fever.
- Info provided to customers on basic precautions to prevent the spread of the virus, as well as internal rules related to the outbreak
- Assurances from the business regarding the governance of the procedures and how surfaces/objects will be cleaned and disinfected
- Sufficient stock of Personal Protection Equipment (PPE) for employees and clients, use of appropriate cleaning materials, etc.
- Hotels have internal protocols for cleaning and sanitation, including specific guidelines for changing bed linens and cleaning rooms
The following links provide more information on the Clean & Safe requirements:
- Accommodations – click here
- Tour Operators with Facilities – click here
- Tour Operators without Facilities – click here
For the Portugal Tourist Board announcement on the Clean & Safe program, click here.
Hotels and service providers have implemented their own programs to address safety concerns for travelers and employees, and those who have been certified Clean & Safe have incorporated those guidelines into their internal protocols. For more information on the details of those programs, please refer to the specific post for the hotel or service provider for more information.
For assistance with your travel plans, including hotel and private tour reservations, click here.