Coimbra’s historical roots date back to Roman times. It has played an important part in Portugal’s history over the centuries, and even served at the country’s first capital from 1131-1255. Coimbra is perhaps best known for its university, which is the oldest in the country, and one of the oldest universities in the world. The best way to discover and experience this historic city is to take a private tour of its city center.
During this 4 hour private tour you will learn about the city’s history, neighborhoods, and historic landmarks. You will be met by your guide in Coimbra, either at your hotel or at the train station if visiting Coimbra as a day trip from Lisbon. The tour can be customized to meet your specific interests.
A suggested itinerary for the tour includes the following stops/visits:
- Panoramic view of Coimbra from the Vale do Inferno lookout
- Santa Clara-a-Nova Convent
- Arco de Almedina
- Fado House
- University of Coimbra – Library, Chapel, Ceremonial Hall, Private Exam Room, Academic Prison
- Panoramic tour by car
- Quinta das Lágrimas Garden
2018 Prices and other info:
Tour price for 1-3 People in a Sedan
- US $285 – Daily (start time from 9:00am to 10:00am or 2:00pm to 3:00pm)
Tour price for 4-7 People in a Minivan
- US $345 – Daily (start time from 9:00am to 10:00am or 2:00pm to 3:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with a licensed guide/driver and transportation for 4 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees (if any), which are extra
- Vehicles are insured, as required by Portuguese law
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French and Italian
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Note: Guide/driver is not authorized to conduct tours inside of monuments or museums.
If visiting Coimbra as a day trip from Lisbon: Coimbra is easily reached from Lisbon by train. The high-speed Alfa Pendular (AP) train has frequent service daily between Lisbon-Santa Apolónia station and Coimbra-B station. The ride takes about 1 hour and 45 minutes. Tickets can be purchased in advance online from Comboios de Portugal, the national rail network. For train schedules and ticket prices, click here.
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: © Christopher Pappas · All rights reserved. Photo of University of Coimbra.
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.