Take a day trip from Barcelona and visit the historic and picturesque city of Girona (Catalán name for Gerona), located 1 hour and 15 minutes north of the city (and just 38 minutes via high-speed train). This ancient walled city has a history that spans over 2,000 years and during Roman times it was an important stopping point on the Via Augusta, which linked Iberia to Rome. The city’s importance continued throughout the Middle Ages, when many of its prominent monuments were built. Some of the sites in Girona may even look familiar to Game of Thrones fans, as a number of its monuments served as a backdrop for the story line in the 6th season of the series.
The best way to explore this city is to take a walking tour with a local guide who will take you through the rich history of Girona. Your guide can meet you at a designated meeting point in the city center, or if you arriving by train, your guide can meet you at the train station and you can either walk to the city center (15 minutes) or take a short taxi ride (10 minutes).
On this 4 hour private tour you can explore the main sites. Your guide will customize the tour to include the sites that are of most interest to you. A suggested itinerary could include visits to the following sites:
- Cathedral and Basilica of Sant Feliu
- Old Quarter – cobblestone streets lined with 13th and 14th C. houses
- Jewish Quarter (El Call) – oldest and one of the best-preserved in Europe
- Arab Baths – dating back to the 12th C.
- Onyar River – lined with picturesque houses and the Ferreries Bridge (designed by Gustave Eiffel)
- Game of Thrones featured locations
2023 Prices (for up to 8 participants) and other info:
- US $420 – Monday through Friday
- US $485 – Saturday, Sunday & Holidays
- Price is for up to the number of participants noted (and not per person)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 4 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees and transportation costs (if any), which are extra
- Tours with more than 2 participants: If transportation is taken, multiple taxis will be needed
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, Catalán, French, Italian and Portuguese
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
If visiting Girona as a day trip from Barcelona:
Girona is located 103 km north of Barcelona, about 1 hour and 15 minutes by car. It is also easily reached by train from Barcelona. There are a number of high-speed Avant/Ave trains that depart from the Barcelona Sants station daily and make the 38 minute trip to Girona. Tickets can be purchased in advance online from Renfe, the national rail network. For train schedules and ticket prices, click here.
Photo credit: Jitka Erbenová
For assistance with your travel plans, including hotel and private tour reservations, click here.