Traveling as a family is a wonderful way to spend quality time together seeing new places and experiencing new things. Planning an itinerary that caters to the interests of all family members, especially the younger ones, is important in making sure that everyone has a good time.
For your next trip to Portugal we have outlined a few sites that are sure to be fun for children, and will also capture the interest of those who are young at heart:
- Lisbon Trams – discover Lisbon’s charming and historic neighborhoods by riding one of the classic wooden trams that traverse the city. Tram 28 is a popular route, as it passes through the Bairro Alto, Baixa, Chiado, Graça and Alfama neighborhoods, which includes the São Jorge Castle. For more information, click here.
- Lisbon Zoo – the first zoo to open on the Iberian Peninsula in 1884, the Lisbon Zoo celebrated its 130th anniversary last year and is still attracting visitors with one of the best zoological collections in the world. For more information, click here.
- World of Discoveries (Porto) – is an interactive museum and theme park that recreates the fantastic odyssey of the Portuguese navigators, crossing oceans to discover an unknown world. For more information, click here.
- Peneda-Gêres National Park – located in northern Portugal, this national park is a stunningly beautiful wilderness of rugged granite mountains mixed with forests and fields of wild flowers. Stay in the nearby Pousada do Gêres Caniçada – São Bento, which is a former hunter’s chalet built out of stone and wood from the region. For more information and reservations at the Pousada, click here. For more information on the park, click here.
- Serra da Estrela Natural Park – located near the town of Covilhã, Serra da Estrela is Portugal’s largest natural park, and it features the highest mountain peaks in the country. Visitors can stay at the nearby Pousada da Serra da Estrela, a true nature lover’s retreat. For more information and reservations at the Pousada, click here. For more information on the park, click here.
Photo credit: © Christopher Pappas · All rights reserved.
For assistance with your travel plans, including hotel and private tour reservations, click here.