The Douro wine region in northern Portugal is an area that extends from Porto to the eastern border with Spain. The lush and picturesque Douro River valley is a traditional wine producing region, known primarily for its Port wine and also for the high quality table wines produced here. In recognition of the region’s importance, UNESCO designated the 13 counties of the Alto Douro Wine Region as a World Heritage Site. The area also boasts a number of charming towns that have histories that date back to Roman times.
The best way to explore this beautiful region and learn more about its history and the wines produced is to take a private tour with a guide/driver who will take you around and provide you with an overview of the region.
Your guide/driver will pick you up at your hotel to begin your full day private tour. The first stop on the tour will be a visit to the town of Amarante, a town best known for the Benedictine monk St. Gonçalo who is buried in the monastery that bears his name. The panoramic tour will include the historic city center, and the picturesque riverfront and bridge that spans the River Tâmega.
The tour continues to the small town of Pinhão. Located in the heart of Port wine country, the sleepy town of Pinhão comes alive during harvest season, as it is a focal point wine production. It is also well known for having some of the most beautiful views in the country, and for the beautiful azulejo tiles that adorn its quaint train station. The stop in Pinhão will include a visit to a wine estate, where you will have a chance to enjoy a wine tasting.
Last stop on the tour is a stop in Régua, a town that is considered the capital of the Douro Valley. It is here that wines are collected before being transported to Porto. It is also home to the Port Wine Institute.
You will arrive back at your hotel around 6:00pm. The private tour can be customized to meet your specific interests. Monument visits are optional and can be decided upon with your guide. There will be time during the day to have lunch.
2019 Prices and other info:
Tour price for 1-3 People in a Sedan
- US $400 – Daily (start time at 9:00am / return at 6:00pm)
Tour price for 4-7 People in a Minivan
- US $525 – Daily (start time at 9:00am / return at 6:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with a licensed guide/driver with transportation for 9 hours
- Price does not include meals or entrance fees (if any)
- There is a supplement required for the guide’s meal. Client can either invite the guide to lunch, or pay them 20 Euros during the tour.
- Vehicles are insured, as required by Portuguese law
- Common languages available: English, Portuguese, Spanish, French
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Note: Guide/driver is not authorized to conduct tours inside of monuments or museums.
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: © Christopher Pappas · All rights reserved.
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.