The Habsburg dynasty (los Austrias) ruled Spain during its Golden Age and established Madrid as the capital of the country. During their reign in the 16th and 17th centuries the old center of the city was transformed with the construction of many of the city’s historic buildings around the area of the Plaza Mayor.
The Bourbon dynasty reigned after the Habsburgs, and they continued the transformation and expansion of the city. They are responsible for commissioning some of Madrid’s most iconic buildings, including the Royal Palace, the Cibeles and Neptune fountains, and the Prado Museum.
On this 4 hour private walking tour you will explore the Madrid of the Habsburgs combined with the Madrid of the Bourbons, spanning the 16th to the 19th centuries. In the Madrid of the Habsburgs you will learn about the development of the area around the Plaza Mayor, the Casa de la Villa square and the Puerta del Sol, which marked the eastern gate of the city under their reign.
The Bourbons expanded the boundary of the city beyond the Puerta del Sol to the Prado Museum and Retiro Park. The Bourbon dynasty was inspired by the court of Versailles and you can see the French influence in the buildings they commissioned, including the Royal Palace, with its elegant Plaza del Oriente and Royal Theater, the Bank of Spain building, the beautiful Cibeles and Neptune fountains, and the world-renowned Prado Museum.
All tours can be customized to meet your specific interests.
2022 Prices (for up to 8 participants) and other info:
- US $375 – Monday through Friday (start time from 8:00am – 4:00pm)
- US $435 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 8:00am – 4:00pm)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide for 4 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees and transportation costs (if any), which are extra
- Tours with more than 2 participants: If transportation is taken, multiple taxis will be needed
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, French, Italian, Portuguese and German
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Photo credit: Sebastian Dubiel
For assistance with your travel plans, including hotel and private tour reservations, click here.