Take a break from sightseeing in the city to do a day trip to Montserrat. Located about an hour’s drive outside of Barcelona, the Benedictine monastery of Montserrat sits atop a 4,000 foot high mountain and is famous for the statue of the Virgin of Montserrat (the Black Virgin), the patron saint of Cataluña.
Montserrat has been home to the Benedictine Community, now numbering some eighty monks, since 1025, and to the Patron of Catalonia, St. Mary of Montserrat, who is worshiped by hundreds of visitors daily. The monastery contains one of the most important libraries in the world, a fine collection of art, and the Escolania, one of the oldest boys’ choir in Europe that attracts visitors from all over the world to listen to their famous Virolai hymn. The boys’ choir performs at 1 p.m. from Monday through Friday (consult the monastery’s website to confirm any changes in schedule).
On this 5 hour private tour you will be met by your guide at your hotel to begin your trip with private transportation to Montserrat. Your guide will give you the history of Montserrat, and you will visit the Royal Basilica, the statue of the Black Virgin, the museum, and enjoy a performance of the Escolania (if they are performing during your visit).
2018 Prices and other info:
Tour price for 1-2 People in a Sedan
- US $995 – Monday through Friday (start time from 8:00am)
- US $1,065 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 8:00am)
Tour price for 3-6 People in a Minivan
- US $1,055 – Monday through Friday (start time from 8:00am)
- US $1,120 – Saturday, Sunday and Holidays (start time from 8:00am)
- Price includes a tour with an official licensed guide and a vehicle with driver for 5 hours
- Price does not include entrance fees (if any), which are extra
- Vehicles are insured, as required by Spanish law
- Common languages available: English, Spanish, Catalán, French, Italian and Portuguese
- Gratuities are not included and are at the discretion of the client
- Prices are subject to change
Note: A 10 hour tour traveling via train with a private guide is also available. For more information, click here.
For more information and reservations, contact us.
Photo credit: © Chensiyuan
As usual, thanks for reading. Please visit International Lodging Corporation at our home page.